[Fedora] Re: itunes-like applications

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 15 11:29:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 09:44 +0200, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Craig White wrote:

> Indeed I'm not interested in passing music on the ipad but ebooks and
> pdf files, I'd like to use it as a sort of e-reader.
----
I don't know if gtkpod has any interest in managing files on an iPod but
you really don't need it to for things like PDF's since they don't need
to mesh into the iTunes.db - they are just files copied onto the IOS
device. Copying files to your IOS device should be as simple as
connecting it to your Linux box and using a file manager or the command
line to copy files.
----
> > #1 - time to update your Fedora. F13 is EOL and soon F14 will EOL
> too.
> > Installing new packages on F13 is going to be difficult if not
> > impossible at the point they move the repo into archive (if they
> haven't
> > done that already).
>
> I've but I'm too lazy to reformat my linux box (the boot partition is
> 100Mb too small to install the new F14 I've read).
----
OK - well that sort of means that you are using a web browser with known
exploits (trusts root certificates that are now well known not to be
trusted) - and specifically using an installation that will never get
another security update ever.

On top of that, it's likely that your computer will not have a chance to
identify any iPad you connect to it since the device ID is not likely to
be in a database that is now almost a year old and won't change unless
you start manually maintaining it... good luck with that.

Craig

believed to be clean.