script to create dvd sized folders for backup

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:18:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Making more progress, but script just sits there, I insert blank dvd and then I get :
>
> [olivares at GHSE213-033561 ~]$ discspan.py --dir ~/Music --iso-dir ~/tmp/
> Using /etc/discspan.ini as config file.
> Insert disc and wait for drive to become ready...
> Unable to detect media, exiting.
>
> I am going to try interactive run and hope that will work.

It's possible there's just something about your setup the confuses the
media detection... Here's what I get trying something similar:

$ discspan --dir ~/Documents/ --iso-dir /tmp --test
Using /etc/discspan.ini as config file.
Media found in /dev/sr0
The disc capacity of the disc in /dev/sr0 (DRW-24B1ST   a) is 4.378G.
Calculating discs...
Disc capacity reported by drive is: 4700372992
Building file lists...
Disc 1 will contain 216 files using 167MB.

Number of dvd's required to burn: 1

Sanity Check:

Total files in directory:  216
Total files in all discs:  216
Total discs still: 1

Ready to burn disc 1/1.
Media found in /dev/sr0
The disc capacity of the disc in /dev/sr0 (DRW-24B1ST   a) is 4.378G.
Test write option enabled.
ISO will be written to a file.

I'll see if I can troubleshoot the problem.

Run the following command and email me the log file directly (no
reason to send it to the list)

$ hal-device > devices.txt

Thanks,
Richard