LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Smith, Herb herb.smith at boeing.com
Thu Sep 15 18:47:02 UTC 2011

Jeff Wrote:

>I use F14.  As soon as I learned what Gnome3 was like I did some research and ended up with XFCE.  Even if they make a version of Gnome3 that I don't find horrible I'd >never go back.

I tried XFCE also and found it to be so close to the familiar Gnome 2 that I also cannot see any reason to look back.  It is quite responsive and seems to provide the capability I need.  I am unimpressed with all this "tablet" look and feel, and found that it took me longer to find the applications that I wanted to run than with the previous environment.  There seemed to be little ability to modify the environment (without resorting to editing system files to accomplish things like smaller desktop icons...), navigation seemed clumsy and circuitous,  and it's unclear if this brings F15 any closer to more universal acceptance than with the previous Gnome 2 desktop.
I have not tried LXFE so I don't know how it compares.

Herb