DNS mystery: NetworkManager vs SELinux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Sep 16 02:28:33 UTC 2011

| From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com>

| Well I just tried to run NetworkManager as root and see something
| similar, although I also end up with the resolv.conf having bogus data
| in it.  I can fix F16 to label this correctly if it happens.  But we
| can not fix this in F15.

I'm glad you can fix it.  It won't affect me in the future: I don't
imagine I'll be so dumb as to manually run NM when it is already
running.

Is fixing it in SELinux policy the right way of doing this?  I would
have guessed that it was a Network Manager bug(s):

- if it cannot be *the* Network Manager, it shouldn't write to
  /etc/resolv.conf

- if it cannot update /etc/resolv.conf, it should

  1) complain in some noticable way (it currently logs this in
     /var/log/messages, but that isn't very visible, especially
     considering the amount of other spew it puts in there)

  2) not show status as hunky dorry.

| If setroubleshoot was running you would see a message in
| /var/log/messages about selinux preventing some access, you should
| also see the setroubleshoot blob down the bottom of the screen and if
| you move your mouse to the bottom right hand corner, you should see a
| menu appear and have the "CheckEngineLight" logo for setroubleshoot.

I don't see that.  So I guess that it isn't running.

ps doesn't show it running.  I assume that it is a daemon that should
be running all the time.

| yum install setroubleshoot
|
| Will install the package although I thought it was part of the default
| desktop.

It was installed.

I can manually run it and it reports (retrospecively) the problem.

Under System Settings (or any other GUI System Tool) I don't see a way of
setting what should be run when starting a session.