LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Sat Sep 17 15:21:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 09:19:54 -0500 Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> wrote:

> On 15.09.2011, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>
> > LXDE can easily be set up to have essentially the same look-and-feel as
> > Gnome 2. Also, it's lightweight design seems to have led to a good
> > performance increase at least on my machine.
>
> LXDE is great, but the file manager pcmanfm is not only annoying, it's more buggy
> than it works properly. Especially the sorting behaviour is sh*t in my eyes. XFCEs
> thunar is rock solid and fast.

No comment on thunar, which I also agree is very good, but the file
manager is still buggy? I haven't had a problem in years, even though I
don't use it for much other than mount and unmounting USBs and CDs.

> Yes, I know you can replace the file manager in LXDE, but not for the desktop.

I doubt this is true. I am pretty certain you can change this. Try
editing the file .config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and also /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
perhaps? (Note that this may be incorrect advice!)

Ranjan