"wireless disabled in software"

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 16:42:27 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> WiFi on my Thinkpad T60 has stopped working recently.
> I'm running Fedora-15/KDE.
>
> When I hover over the NetworkManager icon in the panel
> I read "Disconnected   Wireless disabled in software"
>
> I'm wondering who gives this message,
> and what it means?
>
> My WiFi card is Intel/PRO 3945ABG
> The driver seems to be iwl3945.
>
> I might mention that WiFi works fine on this machine
> under Windows XP.

Some points to consider (mainly who could modify or interfere with
/etc/resolv.conf):

- dhclient
$ apropos dhclient
dhclient (8)         - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Client
dhclient-script (8)  - DHCP client network configuration script
dhclient.conf (5)    - DHCP client configuration file
dhclient.leases (5)  - DHCP client lease database

Note: dhclient.conf has options (prepend, etc) to modify /etc/resolv.conf,
usually found in a config file under /etc dir.
# find /etc -iname "*dhclient*"

- zeroconf
  Basically avahi package.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_%28software%29
  Usually it changes kernel routing table if installed ($ route -n), etc.
  It also manipulates DNS (DNS service discovery).
  I am not on KDE, but I see KDE-specific package for zeroconf:
$ yum info kdnssd-avahi

JB