"wireless disabled in software"

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 17 16:40:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 15:15 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >> This caused NM to modify or create files all over the place,
> >> including deleting everything in /etc/resolv.conf .
> >> This is a habit of NM that I don't understand -
> >> I cannot think of any circumstances where an empty resolv.conf
> >> would be better than one containing something,
> >> however silly NM might think it was.
> > ----
> > on the other hand, if you don't have any configured network adaptor, the
> > content of /etc/resolv.conf is entirely irrelevant and when you do
> > configure a network adaptor, the contents of /etc/resolv.conf become
> > relevant. If you get an IP address automatically (ie DHCP-client), then
> > it is configured automatically. If you enter an IP address manually, you
> > will need to enter dns server addresses manually since the ones you
> > choose are indeed relevant to the newly configured IP address.
>
> I have found many times that I am not connected to the internet on my laptop
> BECAUSE NM has deleted the entries in /etc/resolv.conf ,
> and that when I install the proper entries
> (I keep them in /etc/resolv.conf.opendns for this purpose)
> I am immediately connected.
> (I do not need to enter my IP address manually.)
----
If NM deletes the contents of /etc/resolv.conf WHILE you have a network
device that is functional, that would be a bug and you should report it.
----

> I repeat: I simple don't understand why NM deletes the entries
> in /etc/resolv.conf .
> How could this possibly help me?
> In my opinion, any entries in resolv.conf are better than none.
>
> I recently had the experience that NM deleted the HWADDR address
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 .
> Why?
----
HWADDR might have changed - that's not really a problem anyway.
----
> I find the logic of NM completely incomprehensible,
> and I haven't found any simple explanation of it anywhere.
----
Feel free to contribute documentation
----
> What exactly is its train of thought if it sees a single AP visible?
> Wouldn't any normal person try to connect to that?
> And if it found some key was needed, why not just ask for it?
> More or less what Windows does, in fact.
----
always seemed to work well enough for my laptop but it did require that
I interact with the 'widget' (whatever it is called in KDE) that listed
available wireless networks and allowed me to instigate a connection. In
a general sense, I think Windows automatically joining a wireless
network is a real security concern but I suspect that at some point,
there will be enough users who just want things to work automatically
and are incapable of applying their needs to an interface.
----
> Recently, a new nightmare has occurred;
> a window comes up called Secret, or something like that,
> with a space for a password, in which it is impossible to write.
> Admittedly closing the window does not seem to leave matters
> any worse than before.
----
haven't a clue what you are getting at here
----
> To put it bluntly, NM is very bad if there is a problem.
> It does not give any helpful advice,
> and the entries in /var/log/messages are more or less meaningless,
> eg "deactivating device (reason: 2)".
----
yeah but things were much worse before NM so either make bug reports for
the behaviors you believe are wrong/problematic, suffer or use another
OS because those really are you choices. Whining to the list may prove
to be sufficiently cathartic for you to continue on suffering I suppose.

Craig

believed to be clean.