LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 18 01:03:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 17:56 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 05:21 PM, Craig White wrote:
> > First of all - a taking a poll is fine but it has little to do with a
> > project like GNOME since it is the developers of GNOME who get to decide
> > what it does and how it does it.
>
> You're right, as far as you go, but that's not all there is to it.
> Unless the developers are only interested in creating something for
> themselves, they need to take the opinions of the end users into account
> at least enough to make sure they're creating something that other
> people will want to use.  If, for example, a poll were to show that most
> people who currently used Gnome wanted to be able to specify which
> workspace a window would open on, it would be foolish to implement a DE
> that didn't allow that.
----
Is this a habit of yours? (Telling people what they 'need' to do)

GNOME is GPL - anyone can fork it and do what they want (ie fork GNOME
2). For the life of me, I don't understand what the griping is about. If
you don't like it, don't use it... unlike Macintosh or Windows, you do
actually get to choose from many different DM's and are not just limited
to specific choices of eye candy that they allow you to choose from. If
you can do better, go ahead.

As far as I have known, GNOME developers have generally eschewed what
other people wanted and made it how they saw things should be. I can't
blame them for that for reasons already given. If you feel that blaming
them is justified, then you should consider it apropos for them to be
telling you what to do too. Consider that I think your expressed
opinions on this subject are misguided if not completely stupid but I
wouldn't blame you for rejecting them, just like GNOME developers would
reject yours (but you blame them). Good luck.

Then again, I use KDE  ;-)

Craig

believed to be clean.