LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 18 03:29:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 18:28 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 06:03 PM, Craig White wrote:
> > Is this a habit of yours? (Telling people what they 'need' to do)
>
> Are you, by any chance, a Gnome dev?  If not, is it your habit to get
> offended in other people's name?  You certainly sound like you're
> offended but give no reasons other than you don't like what I wrote
> about how (and why) Gnome seems (to me, among others) to be heading in
> exactly the wrong decision.  There was a time when I'd make a number of
> uncomplimentary comments about what you wrote and why, but I outgrew
> that habit several decades ago.  All I'll say is that I think you're
> getting too worked up over how my comments were phrased and ignoring the
> sense of them.  And, I'll point out, yet again, that I've already taken
> your advice and dropped Gnome like a hot potato and migrated to a DE I
> like better.  If you like Gnome 3, stick with it with my blessings; if
> not, I'd suggest that you take your own advice.
----
heck no - I use KDE - pretty much always have. Never really liked GNOME
even when it was GNOME 1 or GNOME 2. Perhaps I would like GNOME 3 at
some point but no, I am not a GNOME developer and don't use it.

As for DE/DM or however you want to refer to it, what we are talking
about is the attempt to reach the next generation of UI and GNOME isn't
alone with efforts to significantly modify the UI. As noted earlier in
the thread, both Apple and Microsoft have made significant strides
themselves (OS X 10.7 & Windows 8). Surely old time users will bitch and
moan about their expectations not being met but it seems clear that
there's little interest in rewriting the code base to scratch an itch
that has already been scratched... just maintain the existing code and
theme away. But to get at the next generation of UI - that does probably
mean those with expectations need not bother.

As for offense... having done some software development myself, I tend
to think of myself as the most knowledgeable 'end user', design first to
my expectations, second to the expectations of whoever is footing the
bill for my time (if anyone) and *possibly* others if they can convince
me (good luck with that one). I think I pretty much agree with Alan Cox
- comments from the peanut gallery. Compared to Alan Cox, most of us on
this list constitute the peanut gallery and I commend him for
monitoring/posting/helping on the list.

Craig

believed to be clean.