LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Sep 18 12:17:57 UTC 2011

> I think GNOME 3 devs and their handlers (you know who you are, do you ?) are
> either stupid or evil.
> I tend to think that evil presumes rationality. So it remains stupidity.

I doubt they are either. There are lot of things built by very smart
people for very good reasons that turn out not to have been such a bright
idea after all.

> They injure themselves and others, and so can not be trusted that they are
> sane and not dangerous to environment.

The great thing about free software is that they can't force anyone to
change. If you want Gnome 2 keep running it and work with the people who
do. It certainly wouldn't be the first example of a new version of
something dying out and the old fork continuing successfully.

> They are complete lunatics and should be treated as such.

People said that about a nutty Finnish chap and his kernel project, and
about Richard Stallman and the concepts of the GPL and FSF. You can go
back through history and you'll find they said the same about such
madness as metal boats, the turbine engine, ....

People fear change and particularly dislike change being inflicted on
them (even in many documented cases where they then fight tooth and nail
to keep the change later on 8))

None of it makes them stupid or evil, any more than the people who've
designed some other classic fails (New coke would be a fine analogy here
perhaps)

Alan