Need KVM switch

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Sun Sep 18 14:20:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 02:53:34AM -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> How can one ssh from a cygwin shell to a Fedora box?

It's a piece of cake--I do it all the time.

On the same LAN--as your machine are--you can find the Linux box by either
using it as your DNS server on the LAN, or putting an entry for it in the
XP boxes' 'hosts' file (%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts).  If you're
running a firewall on the Fedora box, you'll have to make sure it allows
connections.  Then just use 'scp' to move files, 'ssh' or PuTTY to connect
for a console session.

>From off-LAN, it's almost as easy--on any firewall, redirect port 22* to
the IP address of the target Fedora (or any Linux/Unix) system.

*It's actually strongly recommended to use a different port than the
standard for SSH on the WAN side; it'll greatly reduce doorknob-rattling.

If you're using a hardware firewall appliance--some firewall appliances
allow port reassignment (e.g., "requests for port 2234 go to port 22 on IP
x.x.x.x"; others aren't that smart, so you'd have to change the listening
port on the Linux box.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat