LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Sun Sep 18 16:38:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:41:38AM -0500, Michael Ekstrand wrote:

> Polls only go so far. Users often don't know what they want, or think
> they want X and really want Y (or would have their actual needs better
> met by Y). It's the user experience designer's job to sift through that
> and give them what they need to do their work, which is not necessarily
> what the users would tell you they need/want if you ask them.
>
> Polls (or, better yet, interviews) can be a valuable tool in figuring
> out what to build & how to build it, but they are just one input point.
>  Further, a visionary designer can come up with good solutions that the
> people polled couldn't have imagined and therefore couldn't have said
> they wanted.
>
> I don't know that the Gnome designers and developers have achieved Steve
> Jobs quality-of-vision when it comes to user experience design. But
> they're trying a bold new concept (and yes it's new - Gnome Shell
> predates both Metro and OSX Lion Dashboard), and that can pay off.
>
> All this to say, I think this idea of "polling the users" is very
> misguided. Should more user input have been sought? Probably. But let's
> stop talking about nonsense ways to get it.
>
> For those saying "if people liked it, we'd hear", let me add my voice: I
> find Gnome 3 to be a very fluid and productive experience on my laptop.

I agree completely.

I was going to post a counter message adressing these anti Gnome 3
rants but shall refrain from doing so as it is next to impossible
to influence Linux zealots of any persuasion.

So I will hereby come out of the closet and let myself be "heard"
as Gnome 3 lover.

I too find Gnome 3 a fluid and productive experience on my laptop
and a slightly less fluid but still productive experience on my
desktop.

In the name of all Gnome 3 afficionados I would suggest changing
the title of this thread to:
'Gnome 3 is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2'.

(This is not to say that I am uncritical of Gnome 3 or an admirer
 of the attitude of some of the Gnome developers)

Alexander