Need KVM switch

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 17:59:12 UTC 2011

On Sat September 17 2011, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> > I've got two computers -- a Windows XP machine and a Fedora 15 box. I
> > am sending back the new KVM I bought since it doesn't work at all for
> > my Linux box (just sits there and doesn't detect that it's plugged
> > in.) It also doesn't pass along the unifying receiver for my new
> > wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech.
> >
> > I need a USB KVM for my Windows machine as I'm currently using a PS2
> > with an adapter. I think the only reason that is working is because
> > my old Belkin is a powered KVM and doesn't rely on power from the
> > systems.
> >
> > Anyone got a KVM they can recommend? Bonus if it'll share the speakers
> > with multiple computers. :D
> > --
>
> I would not recommend KVM to Fedora users.  One version it works, the
> next version it doesn't.
>
> I'm embarrassed to say that I use a Windows machine as my main
> machine.  Cygwin has reached the point where, with care, you can ssh
> into Fedora and use most x-based applications.  I recommend against
> trying to import the desktop.  I import windows (small w).
>
> As to sharing speakers, it's an iffy business, no matter what.
>
> If you have a modern machine, running Linux virtual under windows is
> also an attractive option.  XP lives on for me as a virtual machine.
>
> Bottom line for me: I have given up on KVM and use the various network
> and virtual options to share.

No, I think you misunderstand... I'm not looking for virtualization.. I am
looking for a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch. :D I want VGA, USB and if
possible, sound shared. :D I have tried iogear and found it to be
worthless! :( My old PS2 Belkin works, but only because it's powered, I
think. I tried using a PS2-only iogear KVM Switch, but it wouldn't work
with my USB-only Dell machine. :(