Need KVM switch

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Sep 18 18:34:19 UTC 2011

On 09/18/2011 10:59 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sat September 17 2011, Robert Myers wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>> I've got two computers -- a Windows XP machine and a Fedora 15 box. I
>>> am sending back the new KVM I bought since it doesn't work at all for
>>> my Linux box (just sits there and doesn't detect that it's plugged
>>> in.) It also doesn't pass along the unifying receiver for my new
>>> wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech.
>>>
>>> I need a USB KVM for my Windows machine as I'm currently using a PS2
>>> with an adapter. I think the only reason that is working is because
>>> my old Belkin is a powered KVM and doesn't rely on power from the
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> Anyone got a KVM they can recommend? Bonus if it'll share the speakers
>>> with multiple computers. :D
>>> --
>> I would not recommend KVM to Fedora users.  One version it works, the
>> next version it doesn't.
>>
>> I'm embarrassed to say that I use a Windows machine as my main
>> machine.  Cygwin has reached the point where, with care, you can ssh
>> into Fedora and use most x-based applications.  I recommend against
>> trying to import the desktop.  I import windows (small w).
>>
>> As to sharing speakers, it's an iffy business, no matter what.
>>
>> If you have a modern machine, running Linux virtual under windows is
>> also an attractive option.  XP lives on for me as a virtual machine.
>>
>> Bottom line for me: I have given up on KVM and use the various network
>> and virtual options to share.
>>
> No, I think you misunderstand... I'm not looking for virtualization.. I am
> looking for a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch. :D I want VGA, USB and if
> possible, sound shared. :D I have tried iogear and found it to be
> worthless! :( My old PS2 Belkin works, but only because it's powered, I
> think. I tried using a PS2-only iogear KVM Switch, but it wouldn't work
> with my USB-only Dell machine. :(
Just to let you know, that there is a USB to PS2 adapter,
and you can go from there.

I also use a Belkin PRO 8-port and like Craig said, one has to
tread carefully when switching as the mouse/keyboard on
Linux can get screwed up unless one clicks the ESC key to
"synchronize". I am used to it and it is not really a problem
for me.  As for the audio part, I have built an audio mixer,
connected all of my audio-output jacks into the audio mixer
and from there into my stereo system.