Where is the computer network name set and stored ?

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 12:20:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 04:48:30AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:29:16 -0700
> Joe Zeff wrote:
>
> > Look in /etc/sysconfig/network and you'll find it.  It may also be in
> > other places, but I don't remember off hand how to set it.
>
> It may also be in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* file
> or files for the network interfaces in the DHCP_HOSTNAME= line
> and perhaps in /etc/hosts as well.

Someone correct me, but I believe the name specified in the initscripts
is what's proposed to a DHCP server only and would be used by _other_
systems who use that hostname to find the box. It has no bearing on how
the Fedora instance identifies itself. IOW, it submits "farkle" to HDCP
so someone can ping farkle.mydomain.com, but the system itself could be
named "hungadunga".

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/