DHCP or fixed IPs for servers ????

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 18:07:01 UTC 2011

Something I should interject here is that it isn't just setting the IP
address of the server.   I find the biggest problem is keeping the
/etc/hosts lists current on all the clients.

Is there a way to statically assign the IP address to the servers and not
have to update the /etc/hosts file on all the machines ?  I know this is
what DNS is supposed to do, but I've never used it that way.

Furthermore, my DNS server would be the local router, not a dedicated PC,
unless we changed that too.

????

Thanks for the replies thus far.  Its great to hear the responses of people
more experienced than I.

LG