Samba problems. Samba master fight with Linksys E4200 wireless router with storage ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 21 03:29:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 16:53 -0600, linux guy wrote:
> I'm having a lot of trouble setting up a Samba share on a virgin F15
> install.
>
> Right now everything works until I click on a shared file (via Samba).
> At that point I get a "the file or folder smb://nas/TEST does not
> exist" error.
>
> This is what smbclient shows for 192.168.1.10, ie nas, my Samba
> server.
>
> $ smbclient -U% -L192.168.1.10
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.11-71.fc15]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         TEST            Disk
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
> 3.5.11-71.fc15)
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.11-71.fc15]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>         E4200
>         NAS                  Samba Server Version 3.5.11-71.fc15
>
>         Workgroup            Master
>         ---------            -------
>         WORKGROUP            E4200
>
> For the longest time smbclient showed there was no master.    Today,
> my E4200 wireless router, which has file sharing is showing up as
> master.  I'm not sure if I should be OK with that or not.  Given my
> smb.conf file, I was expecting nas to be the master.  There doesn't
> appear to be a way to turn file sharing off in the E4200.  Maybe if I
> set the workgroup on it to null ?
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 2011/09/19 21:06:20
>
> [global]
> server string = Samba Server Version %v
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 50
> wins support = Yes
> cups options = raw
> workgroup = workgroup
> local master = yes
> domain master = yes
> os level = 65
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> read only = No
> browseable = No
>
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
> printable = Yes
> browseable = No
>
> [TEST]
> path = /home/me/test/
> guest ok = yes
> read only = no
> browseable = yes
>
> Any ideas on why Samba isn't working ?
>
> FWIW, I only used SWAT for looking at potential settings and setting a
> couple globals.   The rest I've been doing by hand.   And I've been
> restarting nmb and smb manually after each change.
>
> I'm finding the online documentation for Samba to be umm... wanting.
> I'll post up a little HOWTO when I get my NAS going.
----
First off - samba documentation is as good as it gets for open source
software.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/

Official Samba 'Howto'
or
Samba by Example

2 different approaches to complete Samba configuration

For your problems...

chkconfig smb on
chkconfig nmb on
service nmb restart
service smb restart

It seems obvious that nmb service is not running on this system which
seems to be critical for your setup.

It can take 15 minutes for browser elections to result in a final winner
so be patient.

That should take care of the problem with the wireless router winning
the netbios master browser elections

As for smbclient //nas/test

what are the permissions of /home/me/test ?

smbclient //NAS/test -U ?  # Who is the user trying to connect?

Craig

believed to be clean.