Samba problems. Samba master fight with Linksys E4200 wireless router with storage ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 21 04:20:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 22:11 -0600, linux guy wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> wrote:
>

>         For your problems...
>
>         chkconfig smb on
>         chkconfig nmb on
>         service nmb restart
>         service smb restart
>
> Do you mean
>
> systemctl enable smb.service
> systemctl enable nmb.service
> systemctl start nmb.service
> systemctl start smb.service
>
> Because if you do, I've done that.
----
yeah sorry, still in F14 think mode

If you have nmb service running, it doesn't seem possible that given the
configuration you showed (os level 65, wins support = yes, domain master
= yes) that it could actually lose a browser election with the wireless
router. /var/log/samba/nmbd.log (and /var/log/messages) should show you
within 15 minutes that this system is the master browser and thus will
show as master from command smbclient -L localhost
----
>         It seems obvious that nmb service is not running on this
>         system which
>         seems to be critical for your setup.
>
> According to that status tab in SWAT, it is running.
----
swat is not a tool I used after the first time I looked at it. Can't
really comment on it since it always seemed like a crippled puppy
----

>         It can take 15 minutes for browser elections to result in a
>         final winner
>         so be patient.
>
> Please explain this.
----
function of Windows - read the Office Samba HowTo if you want to
understand Windows NetBIOS
----
>    And I'm testing with Dolphin and Konqueror.
----
don't generally use these myself but they should work. I seem to recall
that KDE had some other Windows network browsing daemon.
----
>         That should take care of the problem with the wireless router
>         winning
>         the netbios master browser elections
>
>         As for smbclient //nas/test
>
>         what are the permissions of /home/me/test ?
>

> Owned by a regular user with the name "me" of group users.  Permission
> = 777.
>

>         smbclient //NAS/test -U ?  # Who is the user trying to
>         connect?
----
again, who is the 'user' ?

Does this user have both a Linux login and a Samba account?

# grep craig /etc/passwd
craig:x:1000:1000:craig:/home/craig:/bin/bash

I'm a Linux user...

root at srv2:~# pdbedit -Lv craig
Unix username:        craig
NT username:          craig
... snip ...

I'm a samba user...

If I weren't a samba user, I would necessarily need to add myself as a
samba user...

smbpasswd -a craig

Personally, I am using LDAP which obviously you are not using so my
methodologies for creating 'users' are entirely different but I have
given you the basics for users in samba.

A samba user MUST be a Linux user (or be mapped to a linux user
in /etc/samba/smbusers). The samba users' password is not the same as
the linux users' password (details too technical to go into here).

If the linux user craig can access /home/me/test then the samba user
craig an access //NAS/test

This just gets you started - you really should be reading through the
official documentation (and forget about all the various other 'aids'
that you will stumble onto on the Internet). You should learn to
implement groups, net group mapping, 'inherit privileges' and you will
probably have a decent setup.

Craig

believed to be clean.