GGoogle chat vs Skype

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 21:25:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 16:10 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 15:15 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 09:43 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > I have long been intrigued wit having Skype-like capabilities for my
> > > computer. I recently looked at Google Chat which seems to be similar and
> > > is really easy to install and use (at least on my F14 laptop).
> > >
> > > What am I missing by not using Skype?
> >
> > Multi-part conferencing (with the paid Skype option), but see Google+
> > which also supports this. It's not clear if Google Chat is going to
> > survive.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Google has another product called Google Voice that does all that.

The focus of Google Voice is among other things allow you to manage all
your POTS-style services such as call forwarding, screening etc. (to
oversimplify somewhat). However AFAIK Google Voice was until recently
only available in the US (Wikipedia says it was extended to some other
countries in August 2011 but it's not available where I am).

And I'm not aware that it has any free multi-party conferencing feature,
but by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

poc