LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 25 12:49:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 11:13 +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> And all these other 'changes' making laptops much more
> difficult to use, such as say
> - the 16:9 format of the screens

That depends on the use of the computer.  For spreadsheets, which are
usually wider than taller, they can be useful.  Likewise with
applications that have a picture window and lots of palettes around
them.

Though, personally, I prefer bigger, very high resolution, and probably
somewhere around 4:3.  Since most of my reading seems to be mail and
web.

Most screens tend to be rather poor resolution, so you have little
choice but to run windows full-screen, and with biggish fonts.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.