GGoogle chat vs Skype

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sun Sep 25 13:32:03 UTC 2011

On 09/25/2011 09:20 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> That is one of the things I don't understand. Google has not asked me for money
> to telephone.  I live in San Antonio and I called my son in Chicago. I
> have no account with Google and as far as I can see the call was free.
> Can someone explain this?

The service is free for now - that's the short explanation. They intend
to start charging, and were supposed to start this year, but they
quietly announced an extension to the free service last year. They are
building up a user base and presumably, they'll offer enhancements to
the service at some point which they will start charging for...something
like that. With MS in charge now, I wouldn't expect it to stay free much
longer.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA