LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 25 16:36:08 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> Most screens tend to be rather poor resolution, so you have little
>> choice but to run windows full-screen, and with biggish fonts.

Joe Zeff:
> I've never had a problem with that, and until April, when I had cataract
> surgery, I was intensely nearsighted.  Of course, I do keep my monitor
> closer than most people do, but that's because I still need reading
> glasses and it's simpler.

With a low resolution device, there's a finite limit to how small
writing can be, before you run out of pixels to show nice looking
writing.  Sure, chunky (English) text can be drawn with a minimum of
about 7 by 8 pixels, like the old dot matrix printers and green screen
VDUs.  But it looks ugly, and isn't really enough for anything beyond ye
olde A-Z characters.

So, that mean there's a minimum font size limit.  Then, to see as much
as the page as you can, to avoid the "reading a magazine through a
keyhole" effect, it also means a largish minimum window size limit.

And, in my case, I do not like being close to monitors.  Particularly
VDUs that strobe.  So I'm using to viewing them from probably double the
distance most people would.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686