F15: Erased rpm database!! What now?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Mon Sep 26 14:12:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 08:52 -0500, Dave Ihnat wrote:

> Reinstallation is not really what anyone would call a production recovery.
> For one thing, it brings a system "back" in a virgin state, with any
> generated critical data lost.

Now if you backup correctly.  You may somehow lose small amounts of
data, depending on what you backup and what didn't work when backing up
or whatever, but if you did it correctly and tested every so often to
make sure it works, then it's not as bad as you make it out.

> Full backup recovery has also been, over the decades--and I've been
> there--less than an optimal solution.  How often have I found that client
> backups hadn't been running, or were corrupted?  Even if they're good, it's
> a long and painful downtime.

That is true, lots of downtime but it does happen.  Just helps to have a
plan just in case.

I do wonder why you couldn't back up the rpm database or soemthing and
at least restore it to an older version, or an initial version from an
install or something.  Least you have *something* to fall back on and
then just update it.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY