Comparitive Desktop Environments

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 26 19:01:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 17:49 +0000, JB wrote:
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

> > So this morning I tried to get around in LXDE and KDE. I found I quickly
> > got lost in both.
>
> Will try to help :-)
>
> > In LXDE I could not get LXTerm (I think that its name)
> > to be anything but transparent, rather than black letters on a white
> > background.
>
> LXTerminal.
> start it
> Edit-Preferences
> click Background, move Opacity slider to the very right (transparency OFF)
> select Color name for your background
> OK
> click Foreground
> select Color name for your foreground
> OK
> OK
>
> Yes, the trick with Opacity caused me some grief too ...
You are right opacity tripped me up.

> > I managed to
> > put Xterm in  the Application menu but I could not get it as an option
> > in a panel.
>
> Right click on panel
> select Add/Remove Panel Items
> on Panel Applets on right side press Add
> from Add Plugin To Panel scroll down, select Application Launch Bar, press
> Add, this placed it at bottom of Panel Applets
> select Application Launch Bar, on right side press Edit, which should open
> a window for Applications selections
> in available applications expand System Tools, click on XTerm, press Add, and
> this will place XTerm in Applications
> you can repeat the above step for other apps as well, and order them with Up
> and Down
> then click Close to close Applications Selections window
> back to Panel Preferences, click on Application Launch Bar, and click on Up
> as many time as you wish to move it to a desired position, e.g. below
> Minimize All Windows
> click Close
> Your Application Launch Bar with XTerm should be on left of the panel.
The above procedure works. But how would anyone figure that out. Could
it possibly be more obscure?

> Btw, I believe it is very similar to XFCE.
>
> > The way to shut down was fairly well hidden.
>
> Click Fedora menu in left corner of the panel
> click Logout
> click Shutdown
>
> Why ? No problem.
It is not to big a problem. But being simple minded I want an entry
called Shutdown. To me Shutdown is not a subset of logout. Maybe it is
just me.

People seem to enjoy things more when they know a lot of other people
have been left out on the pleasure. -- Russell Baker
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net