fsck exits with error status, even though no errors are found

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:25:44 UTC 2011

On 09/26/2011 12:09 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 11:59 AM, JD wrote:
>> kernel-2.6.35.14-96.fc14.i686
>>
>> During boot, when the time comes for fsck'ing
>> the file systems, whatever script is doing that,
>> is exiting with an error status, even though no
>> errors are displayed, and I am prompted to either
>> enter the root password, or type Contrl-D to continue.
>> Cntrl-D simply reboots. Entering the root password,
>> and running fsck manually to check all filesystems in fstab,
>> yields that all is well, no errors are found, and the exit
>> status is 0.
>>
>> Would appreciate some info on identifying the script that
>> does the fsck during boot.
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is the guy and it'll force an fsck if it sees
> a file called "/forcefsck" or "/.autofsck" in the root of the
> filesystem or if there's a "forcefsck" on the command line of the kernel
> (check your /etc/grub/grub.conf file).
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
> -                                                - The Wizard of OS  -

Thanks Rick.

I checked /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
and I see that it does check for the presence of files like:

if [ -f /fsckoptions ]

if [ -f /forcefsck ]

elif [ -f /.autofsck ]

[ -f /etc/sysconfig/autofsck ]

and I have none of these files.

I checked /boot/grub/grub.conf and I see
no presence of any string like fsck or force
or auto in it.

The only script I found that invokes /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is
/etc/init/rcS.conf, and it is not passing any args to it.

I wounder if this maybe a bash problem?