Building X11R6.8 in Fedora 15 - Flex not found

Weather birger at birger.sh
Tue Sep 27 06:41:17 UTC 2011

Doug Kuvaas <doug.kuvaas at gmail.com> wrote:

>I am trying to build an older version of X Server on Fedora 15 to
>allow me to run a legacy application.  Fedora 8, which functions
>correctly for our application, will not install on a new computer for
>some reason, presumably because the new hardware uses UEFI, and Fedora
>15 does not correctly run the application.

If the application runs with remote display on F15 the easiest solution would be to keep some old iron just for that app.

If it doesn't run with remote display one common problem for older commercial apps was startup scripts that loaded tonnes of resources into the x server instead of using a resource file. This could always be fixed without source code access in the apps i was involved with. You may also need to set up a font server correctly as some apps came with their own font servers and fonts in proprietary formats.

If you cannot get it running with remote display that is a bug that should get fixed.

Spend your energy going forward, not holding onto the past. The past is gone and the future is coming no matter what. I think grafting old x onto a new fedora is a too backwards solution...

With kind regards
birger