install boot sector

Kernel Guardian kernelgardian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 03:31:02 UTC 2011

On 28 September 2011 02:19, mickey <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
> F15
>
> Setup F15 hard drive on a different computer /dev/sda and sent hard
> drive to a friend to put in his computer as /dev/sdb , behind WindowsXp
> and went into the rescue mode to run grub-install /dev/sda , getting a
> error message;
What you mean with behind Windows XP?

> "sdc2 Does not have any corresponding BIOS drive".
>
> There is only two hard drives and a DVDrom in this computer,  I can't
> understand the sdc2 unless fedora see's this
> drive , slave hard drive as sdc2 instead of sdb2 , partition 2 is where
> the / partition is for Fedora.
> WindowsXP is on Master drive.

Master/Slave? Disk is PATA drive or SATA drive?

> Hard Drive is recognized by BIOS as a Slave sdb.
>
> I guess the Device map is different and causing problems, How do I fix
> this to get boot sector on /dev/sda
>
> Can the command  grub-install --recheck /dev/sda fix the problem.
> --

It would be nice if you could send "fdisk -l" output and grub.conf.
grub counts disks and partition from 0.
(hd0,0) first disk first partion
(hd1,0) second disk first partition .... etc

Linux kernel enumerate disks as:
sda - whole disk
sda1 -first disk first partition
sdb - whole disk