Recommendations for improving read and seek times of BTRFS.

David McFarland dmcfarland at btisystems.com
Wed Sep 28 11:11:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a question on recommendations for configuring BTRFS and opinions on if it is the correct filesystem to use for the following scenario at this time?

The system will have about 24TB of storage.
The minimal file size to be stored is 32KB and the maximum is 16GB.
We expect the mean distribution of files to be around 128KB-3MB.
We also expect that smaller files 3MB or less will be hit more frequently than the larger files.
The systems read performance is critical and our initial benchmarking with bonnie++ indicates BTRFS has poorer seek speeds and read performance than both XFS and EXT4.

My initial thoughts on this are to split the storage into a number of volumes, which will be optimised for file size ranges. i.e.
2 SSD for files 32KB – 256KB in size
5 HDD for files 256KB – 128MB in size
5 HDD for files 128MB – 16GB in size

Does this seem like a sensible approach? Is there any recommendations for optimising BTRFS with a focus on improving read performance and seek times for each of these ranges?

Thanks,
David