Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 28 11:37:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 11:39 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 11:12 AM, Craig White wrote:
> > Just look at the feedback on the new Macintosh OS X Lion or Windows 8
> > preview... there is a lot of griping about the changes to the UI. It's
> > certain that regardless of the OS, changes to the UI will always raise a
> > bunch of complaints and the more drastic the changes, the louder the
> > complaints. That's not really surprising.
>
> No, but I think the controversy around GNOME 3 is of a different order
> from what we've seen before.  This is not just the usual bunch of
> complaints.
----
because you say so?

seems to me exactly the same type of complaints when KDE 4 was released
----
> When Linus Torvalds says "I want my sane interfaces back. I have yet
> to meet anybody who likes the unholy mess that is gnome-3" the problem
> has to be taken seriously.  (It's not just Linus, but he's a leading
> developer who represents the views of many developers.)
----
and Linux has a point of view that is entirely his own and certainly
valid for him. Why would you assert that his views represent anything
other than his views? Heck, he's typically involved in disagreement even
with kernel development and the kernel license so what's new here?

I believe that the adage states... to make an omelet, one has to break
some eggs.

Those who are unwilling or unprepared to use leading edge software,
still under development should probably be using something stable like
RHEL, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Ubuntu LTS, Debian or something other
than Fedora. If you are committed to using Fedora, you are committed to
using it warts and all with the expectation that you are helping to
drive the open source universe forward. If you are content with the way
things are now... Fedora is likely the wrong choice for you.

Craig

believed to be clean.