Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Wed Sep 28 13:17:35 UTC 2011

On 09/28/2011 05:55 AM, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> It is known that Red Hat makes money from RHEL. RHEL releases are
> mostly snapshot Fedora. And for the community to be willing to
> contribute to Fedora, it must receive something back. Specifically,
> a free desktop operating system that they like (or, which is better,
> adore). When people are not happy, they stop contributing.

As a data point: I came to Fedora, and love it, in large part *because*
of Gnome Shell.  There were other reasons as well, and my appreciation
for Gnome Shell is partially in contrast to Unity, but Gnome 3 with its
shell got me using Fedora. I quite enjoy the experience, and am now
contributing to the OCaml-related packages.

I've also been recommending Fedora to people who aren't happy with
Ubuntu's direction.

I'm just one person, but the the reaction to F15 isn't entirely
disillusionment. It's gained one user and now packager here.

- Michael