Developers responsibillity to Fedora Users

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 13:55:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:32:58PM +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > > Apparently it is already being done (sorry, forgot the new name of the
> > > fork). However, AFAIK, it is far from straightforward to "rebuild and
> > > release" it. Gnome 2 and 3 use different versions of the same set of
> > > libraries, and cannot coexist on the same system easily.
> >
> > The challenge then is to upgrade the Gnome 2 code to use the newer
> > libraries.
>
> Which is essentially impossible without *a* *lot* of coding. IIUC, this is why
> Gnome3 has been rewritten from scratch, instead of repairing old Gnome2 code.

Nobody ever said software development was easy or without challenges.

> IOW, nobody will make this happen.

Then I think Kubler-Ross says you should accept things and move on.

> > > And Fedora
> > > has a lot of Gnome3 dependencies, even if you do not install Gnome3
> > > itself.
> >
> > Such as?
>
> Well, I'm still on F14 on this machine, but I doubt there is a serious
> difference in F15... Anyway, there is no need to look too much:
>
> # yum remove libgnome
> [snip lots of irrelevant stuff]
> Removing:
>  libgnome
> Removing for dependencies:
>  krb5-auth-dialog
>  policycoreutils-gui
>  system-config-lvm
>  system-config-network
>
> The above is on a F14 machine installed from a Live KDE spin (or maybe I
> dragged it in later when realizing I don't have the above stuff...).
>
> So if you want a GUI for Kerberos, SELinux, LVM or network management, you
> depend on libgnome.
>
> And if those packages do not depend on Gnome in F15 or F16, I'll be very
> happily surprised. Having a gnome-free install of Fedora is one of my dreams.
> ;-)

Okay, then. So in the above 4 cases (not reall "a lot") I would say the
challenge is to keep them in sync with the newer (or older) libgnome.
Perhaps provide a compatibility layer?

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/