Managing startup applications using sysctl

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 05:08:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a few older init.d scripts that I'd like to use with my
fedora15 x86_64 system. However, they all don't start as expected and
I can't figure out why.

When running "service myprog start" it just gives a message like
"Starting myprog  (via systemctl):  Job failed. See system logs and
'systemctl status' for details." and no further information.

I've figured out "systemctl status myprog.service" provides some
additional details:

myprog service - SYSV: myprog is a yadda yadda yadda
          Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/myprog)
          Active: failed since Fri, 30 Sep 2011 01:05:19 -0400; 55s ago
         Process: 17956 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/myprog start
(code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/myprog.service

and there is nothing in the logs from the program itself to indicate
why it didn't run. When running the command manually as it is run from
within the init script, it works just fine.

What is the proper way to debug a systemctl script?

Is there a chkconfig equivalent with systemctl or should I just
continue to use chkconfig to control which runlevels the processes run
in?

Thanks,
Alex