Kernel Questions (pos compiling)

Jo�o Daniel Neves joaodanielnevesss at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 12:55:23 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I have compiled kernel 3.1 rc7 under Fedora 15.

Compiling the kernel drive me into a several question.

I tought that if I remove support for hardware that I wont use it would improve performance (at least boot time ).
But booting from my new kernel (instead of the 'old' fedora kernel) take much more time.

So I discovered that my initramfs file was to large. About 112 MB. Fedora intramfs is about 15Mb.

Basically my questions are:

1) If I remove SCSI support from kernel, would it improve performace? More generally what improve performace in linux kernel. It is possible to improve performace just by removing itens?

2)Why my initramfs is too big? I unselect a lot o stuff that I wont use. It is possible to make a intramsfs of 1MB ?