F14, google-chrome won't launch after yum update

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 22:17:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM, jackson byers <byersjab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel J Walsh replied
>

>>This is definitely something in SELinux.   The current upstream google
>>chrome is a little strange from an SELinux point of view.  Have you
>>tried chromium?
>
>>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chromium
>

> well, no.   Advice on this llist over last year or so is that
> google-chrome is better.
>
> I can always fall back on firefox....
>

> At least I know my problem is Selinux.
> And in this case evidently something that can't be fixed.
>
> I would think this will be viewed by many fedora users
> as a real black mark on Selinux.
>
> Unless google-chrome   is at fault.

The last update to chrome in f14 gave avc denials and in order to get
chrome to run after that it was necessary to run the following
commands (as root) before chrome would run again:

semanage fcontext -a -t textrel_shlib_t '/opt/google/chrome/chrome'
restorecon -v '/opt/google/chrome/chrome'

Then when trying to run chrome after these two commands have been
executed, there was another avc that then needed (as root):

grep chrome-sandbox /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M mypol
semodule -i mypol.pp

The last two could only be executed once you had tried to run chrome
following the first two commands!

You might find that doing that does allow chrome to run again in f14.
However it should not really be necessary to have to run the first two
commands if chrome had been written to work within normal selinux
policy in f14 I understand.... however this should get you going
again.

Mike
--
mike c