Unable to keep HWCLOCK, localtime, UTC along several OSs and partitions.

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 3 23:16:20 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 05:48 PM, luis redondo wrote:

> I have several operative systems on disk partitions.
>
> With the hour change to European Summertime days ago,
> Fedora16 and OpenSUSE are 1 hour less than the right time,
> the other OSs (Ubuntus,Debian,Solaris etc. are OK).
>
> On Fedora16 (and OpenSUSE) when I do in Terminal:
>
>    hwclock ; date ; date --utc
>
> I get:
>
>         8:53:42 PM WEST
>        20:53:41 WEST
>    201219:53:41 WEST 2012
>
> On Ubuntu (which presents the time OK) I get:
>
>    sudo hwclock ; date ; date --utc
>    Tue 03 Apr 2012 05:42:26 PM WEST  -0.032786 seconds
>    Tue Apr  3      18:42:25 WEST 2012
>    Tue Apr  3      17:42:25 UTC 2012
>
> Here the hardware clock equals UTC and on Fedora and OpenSUSE NOT.
> More,when I fix the time on OpenSUSE and Fedora the other operative
> systemstime become WRONG.
>
> How can I fix this?
-=-

from appearance, as above arranged, when you give first "date" command,
time being displayed is with "dst"/"daylight savings time" adjustment.

if you will, read 'man/info' files for "hwclock" and "date", wherein
you will find displaying/setting of "time", "zone", and "dst".

you do not mention which v/r os or desktop. with most v/r, desktop, there
will be a 'gui' for setting "system-config-services" and correcting "dst"
irritations.

i run 'utc' for both bios/mainboard clock and system clock, and i do not
use "dst".

i run "ntpd" and see little drift from;

  http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**