Fedora 16 killed my eth0 ?

'Chris Hall' chris.hall.list at highwayman.com
Wed Apr 4 11:41:59 UTC 2012

Andrew Haley wrote (on 04-Apr-2012 at 09:55 +0100):
> It's because in the old scheme when a machine had several ports the
> mapping between the physical hardware and the dev nodes was not
> fixed:
> the kernel would just assign names as it found interfaces.  This
> caused a fair bit of inconvenience.

I applaud the wish to have consistent naming.

I wish to have a consistent name for a given MAC address, and I wish that to be eth0.

There is clearly a mechanism for this, since an upgrade (rather than a clean install) appears to do it.  But it seems to be buried many layers deep in udev spells :-(

> > From my side, I have a "no longer supported" SW product that
> > licenses itself against the MAC address of ETH0. Yep, ETH0 and
> > not any other name.

> Put a symlink in?

OK.  Gizza clue: what would the symlink be, where would one insert it, and what effect would it have ?  Would, for example, ifconfig or ip recognise the new name and show results using it ?  Would one end up with two apparent "interfaces" ?

Thanks,

Chris