HWCLOCK,LOCALTIME,UTC how to fix wrong time.

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Thu Apr 5 16:14:10 UTC 2012

On 04/05/2012 06:58 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 15:11 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 04/04/2012 02:47 PM, luis redondo wrote:
>>> I got that Fedora16 and OpenSUSE present wrong system time because they
>>> are the only systems I run that have WRONG UTC.
>>> For example: My correct system time is 21:20:04 and when I do on
>>> Fedora(OpenSUSE) :
>>> hwclock ; date ; date --utc I got
>>>
>>> 8:20:04 PM WEST
>>> 20:20:04 WEST 2012
>>> 19:20:04 UTC 2012
>>>
>>> Then UTC is 2 hours before my right daylight savings time AND IT SHOULD
>>> BE ONLY 1 HOUR.
>>> On Ubuntu,Debian which present right system hour with daylight savings
>>> the UTC is 1 HOUR BEFORE
>>> 20:20:04 UTC 2012(which is correct with the real world).
>>
>> The numbers look right for the WEST time zone (western Europe savings
>> time), which is defined as "+0100".
>>
>> "hwclock" always reports in local time, regardless if your hardware
>> clock is set to UTC or not (read the man page if you don't believe me).
>> You need to look at /etc/sysconfig/clock to see how your hardware clock
>> is set. If "UTC" is "true", then your hardware clock is using UTC.
>> -
> My hardware clock is set to UTC. But in /etc/sysconfig/clock
> all I find is a line defining the Local time zone "America/Chicago".
> Nothing about UTC.

I believe the default hardware clock setting (e.g if "UTC=" is not
specified) is UTC as well. The /etc/adjtime file will tell you what
it really is set to. If you see UTC in there, then your hardware clock
is UTC.

This was all a hell of a lot easier when you could look at the startup
scripts instead of having this silly systemd-timedated binary. I'm not
a fan of this whole systemd crap. I like transparency and in lieu of
source code, how about a man page?