yum file\dir ownership couple of questions

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:36:23 UTC 2012

as this is not specific to testing, asking here.

I want to use an /nfs/ mountpoint as the yum cache.
edit /etc/yum.conf done.

is it possible to yum update as named user, which is me.
with out having to do a su\sudo *1

I can chown -R root:user the cache /nfs/yum/$release/$arch,
or would user:root be more suitable?
for browsing\modifying  with file manager (Thunar),
or command line as user.
70/30% on the rl3/rl5 usage

There doesn't seem to be a group to join for yum\system updating,
root:root seems to own all yum* files\dirs.

Though, was under the impression apps, had to own all dirs they created
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#File_and_Directory_Ownership
I'm probably wrong if yum is a filesystem app.

How can a dir be co-owned?
Is this different to the usual root:something idea?

*1 Only for this yum idea.
Otherwise su\sudo is fine for other operations.
--
Regards,
Frank