how to use a mailing-list

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 7 13:50:08 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 15:38:29 +0200,
   Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>Am 07.04.2012 15:24, schrieb Bruno Wolff III:
>> On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 10:51:53 +0200,
>>   Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> but at least i am talking to everybody who is not
>>> aware how to use a mailprogram - i can not verify
>>> if you  are one of them because i do the work
>>> removing duplicates in my mail-archive
>>
>> If you don't want duplicate copies, you can set ypur mail client to
>> use a mail-followup-to header appropriately.
>
>it is not the job of my mail-client repair mistakes of others

They are only mistakes in your mind. The normal way to reply is to use reply
all. This covers people who want to have their address in the recipient
headers so they can treat the message specially and people who are not
on the list. The mail-followup-to header is the way to say you want something
different.

>> You also have the option to configure the list setting for your
>> address to not send a copy to you if your subscribed address is
>> in a recipient header.
>
>to not receive my own messages?

No. Mailman has a feature where it checks the list recipients against
the recipient headers of the message and can skip sending a message
to those that are in other headers (if that subscriber has enable that
feature) assuming that they will be sent a separate copy of the message.

>not a very smater idea because my archive would not
>contain my own messages, only the replies

You are confused about what the feature does. It has no effect on the
archives.