AV (RCA) Cable in Fedora and Linux??

Manuel Escudero jmlevick at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 09:17:45 UTC 2012

2012/4/8 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>

> On 04/08/2012 03:29 PM, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> > So what I tried basically was to connect that cable to the projector and
> then used
> > this one:
> >
> > http://www.pcwizkid.co.uk/images/usb%20to%203rca.jpg
> >
> > To connect it to the computer via USB, in theory Fedora should recognize
> the
> > projector as
> > a second "monitor" and then the projector should show the image of the
> computer in
> > the "AV IN" option right?
> > but it doesn't happen :S
> >
> > When I conect the projector to the computer via AV IN => USB neither the
> projector
> > recognizes the computer or the computer the projector, did a test with a
> lsusb to
> > confirm...
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong? does I need a hardware converter or a
> program in order
> > to this to work?
> > Because once I conected my Fedora Laptop to another projector Via VGA
> cable and the
> > same thing
> > happened, with Windows/Mac computers everything worked flawlessly.
>
> If you look at the information for that cable you'd see....
>
> Note: PC Computer Laptop can't use the cable directly
>
> You can't hook this cable to the USB port of any system then plug the male
> RCA
> connectors to the female RCA connector and then plug the 3.5mm jack into
> your
> projector.  The USB ports can't act as Video drivers....
>
> You need to tell people a few things....
>
> What is the make and model of your projector?
>
> What type of system is your Fedora system?  Desktop/Laptop?  What is the
> video HW?
> If a desktop, what type of video card?  Does it have one or two
> connectors?  Many
> have a VGA and DVI connector and are capable to drive dual monitors.
>

> --
> Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out
> on the joke
> of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage
> --

@Edward M, Ed Greshko: It's completely generic, the projector doesn't have
a brand, doesn't has a model.
My computer it's a laptop with VGA port, the only cables I have are the
ones I show in the following images:

http://bit.ly/HrV0KV
http://bit.ly/Hs3qS1

(Same as above)

So, Quick idea: As the USB port is not capable to stream video, I was
wondering if
with this cable:

http://bit.ly/I9GS7K

Maybe it will be possible to connect the projector to the VGA port of the
PC and then select
it as an output instead of the laptop screen resulting that in a projection
from the computer
to the projector?? O.o, In a "Diagram" My idea is:

This to the projector: (As it only has AV IN port exactly for this cable):

http://bit.ly/HrV0KV

Then This to that cable:

http://bit.ly/I9GS7K

And Finally the VGA end from that last cable to the VGA port of the Laptop,
then maybe run the
command issued above:

"xrandr --output VGA"

And as far as I understand it should result in projection from the laptop
computer to
the projector as it were a VGA monitor right??

What do you think? :)