why is ipv6 fixly compiled in latest F15 and all F16 kernels?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sun Apr 8 11:05:21 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 08.04.2012 05:13, schrieb Frantisek Hanzlik:
>> I think all know modular kernel advantages over modules fixly compiled
>> into, thus I cannot understand why ipv6 should be exception. And about
>> some dependencies - from F15 new systemd should perhaps serve all
>> dependencies much better and easily, it's true?
>>
>>> Download the
>>> kernel source and rebuild if it really bugs you on memory.
>>
>> You mean it seriously? Of course, it is way... But switch to another
>> distro is in some cases more easier.
>
> is this so?
> and you are 100% sure that in the next release there will not happen the same?
>
> so why do you simply not calm down and add "ipv6.disable=1" to
> your kernel-parameters so you will not notice anything about ipv6
> after the next boot?

Yes, I have it (as You wrote, on kernel cmdline - as having it in
sysctl.conf seems not enough). But this nothing change on fact that
1) I have unwanted things included in kernel, and
2) something (NetworkManager or other malware;) can easily activate
it.
As module, I can better control how use it and save memory too
(although when ipv6 stack is disabled entirely, memory requirements
may be lower - I not study about this).