automatic starting of services

Tommy Pham tommyhp2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:49:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 04/10/2012 02:02 PM, Tommy Pham wrote:
>>
>> [root at fedora17 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
>> Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)
>> [root at fedora17 ~]# uname -a
>> Linux fedora17.workgroup.domain 3.3.1-3.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 4
>> 18:13:49 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> [root at fedora17 ~]# rpm -qa mysql*
>> mysql-server-5.5.22-1.fc17.x86_64
>> mysql-libs-5.5.22-1.fc17.x86_64
>> mysql-5.5.22-1.fc17.x86_64
>> [root at fedora17 ~]# chkconfig
>>
>> Note: This output shows SysV services only and does not include native
>>       systemd services. SysV configuration data might be overridden by native
>>       systemd configuration.
>>
>> netconsole      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
>> network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>> [root at fedora17 ~]# ls /etc/init.d
>> functions  netconsole  network
>> [root at fedora17 ~]#
>
> FWIW, F17 is not yet "released" so use at your peril.....
>
> With F16 many of the services were moved under the control of systemd.  With F17, one
> would expect even more services to come under systemd control.
>
> Have a read starting here....
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd
>
> After digesting, you may have additional questions.

Thank you, Ed, for that excellent reading!  That explains a lot of
things.  I'm only testing F17 to see what new features and
enhancements I can look forward to.  I don't expect much stability and
compatibility from non GA releases.  I do have additional questions :)

1) is network.target.wants equivalent to run level 2,
multi-user.target.wants would be run level 3, and graphical is similar
to run level 5 of chkconfig?  Thus, I need to put the service in the
all the desired targets similar to turning on each run level of
chkconfig, right?

2) The wiki mention using .include but I didn't quite get that part.
I was looking for a configuration of some kind to use but I ended up
making a symlink like existing services in /etc/systemd/system.

Thanks,
Tommy