NOTICE F16 KDE stability solved

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 11 02:27:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 18:30 +0100, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> Well, after struggling on and off for a few months I have got F16 KDE
> stable. The answer it turns out was to ensure the BIOS memory settings
> properly matched the installed processor, as not all processors can
> make use of all the functionality. In my case using AMD X2 and not
> AMD Phenom processor.

Hmm, and good luck getting that right.  In something like 15 years of
messing with IBM-style personal computers, I've yet to see a manual for
a motherboard that actually EXPLAINS the features/functions/options set
in the BIOS they include.

NB:  "Here you can adjust options for your CPU" is not an adequate
explanation.  We need to know precisely what each individual option
actually does, and likewise with the choices selectable for each option.

And it's no good referring to instructions for similar-seeming BIOSes,
we need precise information about what we're actually using.

Even without Windows on a PC, it's still the world's crappiest designed
product ever produced.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686