mount to NFS server 'julie' failed: No route to host

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 20:37:45 UTC 2012

On 04/12/12 13:21, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 11:33 -0700, don fisher wrote:
>> This one keeps coming back on F16:-( I can ssh to and from the host, so
>> part of the system knows it is there. I exported the file systems on
>> julie again to make sure that was set up. What can "No route to host" mean?
>
> Sounds like a firewall problem. "julie" may be allowing ssh but not
> allowing NFS. Check the output of "iptables -L -v" on julie. There are
> probably rules that allow TCP port 22 and drop everything not explicitly
> allowed by default.
>
> NFS is a very hard protocol to write firewall rules for because it uses
> ports that vary. I generally don't use NFS in an environment where I
> need to have the firewall turned on.
>
> Easy test: on julie, run "systemctl stop iptables.service" and then see
> if you can NFS-mount files from it. (Don't forget to run "systemctl
> start iptables.service" afterwards when you are done to make sure you
> don't leave julie vulnerable, until you determine if the environment is
> safe to run without a firewall).
>
> --Greg
When I disabled iptables.service on julie I was able to mount it. I I
run system-config-firewall, nfs is enabled. What else do I need to enable?

The output from iptables -L -v is:
sudo iptables -L -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
     7   460 ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
     0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere
     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere
anywhere
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:ftp
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere
224.0.0.251          state NEW udp dpt:mdns
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:nfs
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW udp dpt:ipp
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:ipp
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW udp dpt:ipp
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW udp dpt:netbios-ns
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW udp dpt:netbios-dgm
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:microsoft-ds
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW udp dpt:netbios-ns
     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW udp dpt:netbios-dgm
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:https
     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:http
     0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
     0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere             reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 4 packets, 368 bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

|    Don Fisher                         hdf3 at comcast.net        |
|    865 W. Cresta Loma Dr.             VOICE: (520)888-7613    |
|    Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705                                     |