Perhaps this exists already, and if not, it should...

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 13 21:00:51 UTC 2012

Am 13.04.2012 22:56, schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> I found myself on a command line window, wanting to open a PDF, and I
> didnt remember the name of the pdf reader that now comes as a default
> install for Fedora. Too many years of "just installing Acrobat" left
> me with "./acroread whatever.pdf" engraved into my brain cells.
>
> So.. I had to go to "add/remove programs" type "PDF" in the search
> field, and then wait as the program showed the name of the app:
> evince.
>
> Now that's great. I now know its 'evince whatever.pdf'.
>
> But that got me thinking. Shouldn't there be a "meta-command" like
> "open filename.whatever" that just seeks the default file association
> in gnome or whatever, and find the app name, and invoke the right app
> without the end user having to memorize the exact app name associated
> with any given file extension type?

no

simply because in the GUI this is still the case and
extensions are MEANINGLESS at all, on a modern OS
you need no extension at all

remove the .pdf in you GUI froma file and your
DE still knows what type of file this is and
which application should be used to open

this happens by mimetype

Microsoft Windows is the only OS relying blindly
on a file extension, really the only OS