Perhaps this exists already, and if not, it should...

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 21:11:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 17:59, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't tried using this directly but I would think it would do what you need:
> $ xdg-open --help
>   xdg-open -- opens a file or URL in the user's preferred
>   application

Worked like a charm. Now, see how linux devs shoot themselves in the
foot and usability in the process by naming it "xdg-open" instead of
just "open". What's the harm of using an English language word for a
command, that states exactly what it does?.

Were the xdg-open devs afraid that some user might type "open" and,
gee, a file would *OPEN* ? That would be too user friendly, right?. ;)

Perhaps I should find the xdg-open devs and start a kerfuffle about this...
H*ck if I were in charge of Fedora there would be a default bashrc
alias open=/usr/bin/xdg-open

Usability, usability, usability! they' ve heard of it. :)
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell