Icedtea / OpenJDK running a Java Web Start (.jnlp) app

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 21:46:13 UTC 2012

* Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> [2012-04-13 07:26]:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 04:11, T.C. Hollingsworth
> <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you're using Firefox, just click on a JNLP file, choose Other from
> > the "Open with" dropdown, enter "/usr/bin/javaws", and check the "Do
> > this automatically" box, and you'll be all set.
>
> Yes, I eventually found that.
> I will bug the Icedtead devs however to have them improve the install routine.

We do set up a file association, so it should work with Firefox,
Nautilus, etc.:

$ rpm -q --scripts icedtea-web
posttrans scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
update-desktop-database &> /dev/null || :

$ rpm -ql icedtea-web | grep .desktop
/usr/share/applications/itweb-settings.desktop
/usr/share/applications/javaws.desktop

$ cat /usr/share/applications/javaws.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=IcedTea Web Start
Comment=IcedTea Application Launcher
Exec=/usr/bin/javaws.itweb %f