Can't kill hung remote CP copy

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Apr 14 19:06:21 UTC 2012

On 04/14/2012 11:42 AM, Andy Blanchard wrote:
> In theory, yes, but the problem would be that the kernel would no longer
> have any way of knowing what state the device being waited on is in.
> Depending on the device that could be very bad news and potentially
> result in trashed data.

I'd think that there'd have to be a special command, requiring root, to
do it for exactly that reason.  There's no way you can safely automate
that decision, and it's probably best if the average user doesn't have
direct access to it; if nothing else, having to use either su or sudo
along with a password (and possibly a confirmation dialog) would remind
people that this isn't something you do lightly.  How it gets done,
alas, is beyond me because I don't know enough about such things.