Evolution mail mystery

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Apr 16 22:47:57 UTC 2012

On 04/17/2012 04:50 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I would like someone to explain a strange thing that is happening with
> my incoming mail.
>
> There is a group of email addresses that could well be on a contact
> list. I have a evolution contact list with those e-mail addresses on
> them.
>
> I am getting a series of identical e-mail messages that are identified
> as coming from people on that list and seem to be addressed to an e-mail
> address that is not one I am familiar with. Despite that on the surface
> the e-mail is not coming to me the first line in the header reads:
> 2012 06:47:30 -0700
>
> Others on the contact list are getting the same message.
>
> What in the e-mail headers would allow me to identify what is going on?
> Or how this is happening?

I think you are saying that you don't see yourself on the To: or Cc: list...but you
are receiving the email.  Correct?

If so, this is because you were listed as a Bcc: when the email was sent.  Your
address was in the RCPT list of the SMTP envelope.  Under certain circumstances,
usually when no To: is in the header, some email servers will add the X-Apparently-To
header to the message.  This behavior is most noted with SPAM sent by robots.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage