Cross compiling on x86_64 to pentium4

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Thu Apr 19 16:03:38 UTC 2012

On 04/19/2012 04:59 AM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I need to build a program on an x86_64 system to run on an old laptop, which uses a pentium4.  What's the most convenient way to build this on a Fedora-16 system?

I hope someone else will be able to suggest a better approach (it would be
interesting for me too), but what I would do is this:

1) create a 386 virtual machine (kvm, vmware, ...)
2) install a 386 fedora (better if you match the version which is on the old laptop)
3) compile in the vm

This will work for sure.

The alternative is "gcc -m32", but if the program is not simple and has
dependencies on libraries, things will get complicated.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it